Name: MARIA CATHARINA EKSTEEN
Date of birth: March 21, 1968
Years of experience: 18
Nationality: South African
Profession: Environmental scientist
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY
Registered as a Professional
Environmental Scientist (Pr.Sci.Nat.) at the South African
Council for Natural Scientific Professions – Registration No.
Management – Water use licensing. Ground and surface
water impact assessments. Water quality objectives. Water
quality management strategies. Management options. Mitigation
measures. Waste discharge charges.
Mine Water Management – Best practice
guidelines. Water use and waste management assessment.
Environmental management programmes (EMPs). Impact
assessments. Management options. Mine rehabilitation. Closure
risk assessments. Mine closure costing.
Environmental – Environmental legal compliance.
Ground and surface water pollution control. Environmental
impact, scoping and risk assessments. Policy development.
1992 MSc Exploration
Geophysics, University of Pretoria, RSA.
cc (January 2006 - ) – Managing Director.
Pulles Howard & de Lange Inc.
(January 2004 - December 2005) – Associate Director, managing
the Mine Water Division and associated projects.
Collieries Limited (August 2001 - December 2003) –
Environmental Manager at Khutala and Douglas Collieries
situated in Mpumalanga Province.
Department of Water Affairs
and Forestry (March 1993 - July 2001) – Assistant Director:
Water quality management,
Genmin (August 1990
- March 1993) – Exploration geophysicist.
• Water Quality Management
Short Courses – UP (1994 & 1995)
• Integrated Environmental Management (IEM): Theory and
Practice – UCT (1995)
• Integrated Environmental and Water Management Course (IEWM)
– Denmark (1997)
• Environmental Law Course – UP for CHE (1998)
• Managing Conflict: Public Involvement in EIA – UP for CHE
• Study Tour to France on Catchment Management – France (1999)
• ISO training: Integrated SHEQ Management Systems – Wynleigh
• Introduction to Life Cycle Assessment – Technicon of
• Facilitator Leadership Skills / Accelerating Change &
Transitions – Destra Consulting Group (2003)
• Van Dalsen, M.C. and Hinds, R.C., 1991. Evaluation of dip move-out algorithms
on South African seismic data. Presented at
the SAGA Technical Conference at the University of the Witwatersrand.
• Van Dalsen, M.C., 1992. A comparison of dip move-out
algorithms - a South African case history. MSc Thesis.
• Eksteen, M.C., Rothmann, J.F., Tuffin, A. and Totman, D.,
1997. Wasbank River Water Quality Management Plan -
Community Consultation and Facilitation. Presented at the Water Africa
‘97 Conference, Harare.
• Eksteen, M.C., 1997. Water Quality Management Plan -
Nkongolwana River Catchment. Presented at the WISA Mine Water
Division one-day seminar on Catchment Management Plans, Randfontein.
• Glendinning, J., Waygood, C. and Eksteen, M., 1998.
Assessment of contamination resulting from defunct coal mines
Ermelo area. Poster presentation at the Water Institute of Southern
Africa Biennial Conference, Cape Town.
• Eksteen, M.C. and Schwab, R., 2005. DWAF best practice
guideline on mine closure – Practical implications and
WISA Mine Water Division Conference, Randfontein, April 2005.
• Heath, R. and Eksteen, M.C., 2005. Regulating the mining
industry, addressing the legacy of abandoned mines and prevent
new environmental problems, Journal of Water and Environmental
Technology, Cardiff, 2005.
• Schwab, R. and Eksteen, M.C., 2005. Development of best
practice guidelines for water quality management in the SA
mining industry - current status, WISA Mine Water Division Conference,
Randfontein, October 2005.